Today's world's societies are becoming more and more dependent on open networks such as the Internet - where commercial activities, business transactions, and government services are realized. This has led to the fast development of new cyber threats and numerous information security issues which are exploited by cyber criminals. The inability to provide trusted secure services in contemporary computer network technologies has a tremendous socio-economic impact on global enterprises as well as individuals.
In Computer Systems Security Group (CSSG) we strongly believe that the next-generation computer systems require proper protection. Therefore, we focus on developing cutting-edge, innovative cyber security solutions.
Our main research topics include:
- Network Security
- Honeypot Systems
- Malware Analysis
- Information Hiding in Communication Networks
- VLC Systems Security
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security
- Industrial Control Systems Security (SCADA/PLC)
- Bio-inspired Cyber Security
We do our best to contribute to the abovementioned fields.
Head of the group:Wojciech Mazurczyk, Ph.D., D.Sc. (Research leader)
Krzysztof Cabaj, Ph.D., D.Sc. (Research co-leader)
Staff members:Grzegorz Blinowski, Ph.D.
Jacek Wytrębowicz, Ph.D.
Marcin Gregorczyk, Ph.D.
Paweł Łąka, Ph.D.
Karol Rzepka, M.Sc.
Łukasz Pietraszek, B.Sc.
Natan Orzechowski, B.Sc.
PhD studentsDominik Kolasa, M.Sc.
Mikołaj Kowalski, M.Sc.
Kinga Pilch, M.Sc.
Przemysław Szary, M.Sc.
Konrad Kamiński, M.Sc.
Former membersGrzegorz Siewruk, Ph.D.
Piotr Białczak, Ph.D.
Piotr Żórawski, M.Sc.
Piotr Nowakowski, M.Sc.
Sławomir Nowaczewski, M.Sc.
Visiting researchersFarzana Kabir, M.Sc. (2023)
Heejae (Harry) Park, Ph.D. (2022-2023)
Master and Bachelor students+ 20 M.Sc./B.Sc. students
CURRENT ACTIVITIESWe are proud organizers of:
- Workshop on Emerging Network Security (ENS) co-located with International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES)
- Workshop on Criminal Use of Information Hiding (CUING) co-located with International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES)
- Workshop on Traffic Measurements for Cybersecurity (WTMC) co-located with IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy (IEEE Euro S&P)
PROJECTSCurrently, we are involved in the following projects:
- SILVANUS: Integrated Technological and Information Platform for wildfire Management (2021-2025) - funded by EU within Horizon 2020 programme
- DISSIMILAR: Detection of fake newS on SocIal MedIa pLAtfoRms (2021-2024) - funded by National Centre for Research and Development under the EIG CONCERT-Japan Programme framework
- CoCoDe: Covert Communication Detection - R&D project funded by US Air Force Office of Scientific Research (2017-2020) - Contract No. FA9550-17-1-0254
- H2020 - IoRL (Internet of Radio Light) (2017-2020) - funded by EU
COLLABORATIONWe closely cooperate with the researchers from the following institutions:
- Institute for Applied Mathematics and Information Technologies "Enrico Magenes" (IMATI), National Research Council of Italy (CNR), Italy
- Worms University of Applied Sciences, Worms, Germany
- Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
- National Huaqiao University, Xiamen, China
- FernUniverstiaet in Hagen, Hagen, Germany
- Cyber Security Department, Fraunhofer FKIE, Bonn, Germany
- Security and Distributed Systems Team at Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale d'Orléans, INSA Centre-Val de Loire, France
PUBLICATIONSSelected recent publications:
- P. Zorawski, L. Caviglione, W. Mazurczyk - A Long-term Perspective of the Internet Traffic Vulnerability to Covert Channels, IEEE Communications magazine, 2023, DOI: 10.1109/MCOM.011.2200744
- P. Szary, W. Mazurczyk, S. Wendzel, L. Caviglione - Analysis of Reversible Network Covert Channels - IEEE Access, 2022, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3168018
- D. Megias, M. Kuribayashi, A. Rosales, K. Cabaj, W. Mazurczyk - Architecture of a fake news detection system combining digital watermarking, signal processing, and machine learning - Journal of Wireless Mobile Networks, Ubiquitous Computing, and Dependable Applications (JoWUA), Vol. 13, Number 1, pp. 33-55, March 2022, DOI:10.22667/JOWUA.2022.03.31.033
- L. Caviglione, W. Mazurczyk - Never Mind The Malware, Here's The Stegomalware - IEEE S&P magazine, Volume 20, Issue 5, 2022, DOI: 10.1109/MSEC.2022.3178205
- S. Wendzel, L. Caviglione, W. Mazurczyk - Avoiding Research Tribal Wars Using Taxonomies, IEEE Computer magazine, Vol. 56(1), 2022
- G. Siewruk, W. Mazurczyk - Context-Aware Software Vulnerabilities Classification using Machine Learning, IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 88852 - 88867, 2021, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3075385
- P. Bialczak, W. Mazurczyk - Fingerprinting malware HTTP communication, Entropy 2021, 23(5), 507; https://doi.org/10.3390/e23050507
- G. Blinowski, Security of Visible Light Communication systems—A survey, Physical Communication, Volume 34, June 2019, Pages 246-260
- K. Cabaj, M. Gregorczyk, W. Mazurczyk, P. Nowakowski, P. Zorawski - Sniffing Detection within the Network: Revisiting Existing and Proposing Novel Approaches, - In Proc. of 5G Network Security (5G-NS 2019) workshop, ARES 2019 Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security, August 2019
- K. Cabaj, W. Mazurczyk, P. Nowakowski, P. Zorawski - Fine-tuning of Distributed Network Covert Channels Parameters and Their Impact on Undetectability - In Proc. of Criminal Use of Information Hiding (CUING) Workshop, ARES 2019 Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security, August 2019
- K. Cabaj, M. Gregorczyk, W. Mazurczyk, P. Nowakowski, P. Zorawski - Network threats mitigation using Software-Defined Networking for the 5G Internet of Radio Light system, Security and Communication Networks, John Wiley & Sons, 2019, Vol. 2019, Article ID 4930908, 22 pages, DOI: 10.1155/2019/4930908
- G. Blinowski, A. Moscicki - Comparing Gausian and exact models of malicious interference in VLC systems, IJET vol.65, no.2, April 2019
- W. Mazurczyk, S. Wendzel, M. Chourib, J. Keller - You Shall Not Pass: Countering Network Covert Channels with Dynamic Wardens, Future Generation Computer Systems, 2019, DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2018.12.047
- S. Schmidt, W. Mazurczyk, R. Kulesza, J. Keller, L. Caviglione - Exploiting IP Telephony with Silence Suppresion for Hidden Data Transfers, Computers & Security, Elsevier, Volume 79, November 2018, Pages 17-32
- G. Blinowski, P. Januszewski, G. Stepniak, K. Szczypiorski, LuxSteg: First practical implementation of steganography in VLC. IEEE Access, 6, pp.74366-74375, 2018
- P. Laka, W. Mazurczyk - User Perspective and Security of a New Mobile Authentication, Telecommunication Systems, November 2018, Volume 69, Issue 3, pp 365-379, DOI: 10.1007/s11235-018-0437-1